Known for its tough and uncompromising standards, the 11th ACR, “the Blackhorse Regiment,” is widely respected as the best Opposing Force in the world. The famous regiment, which was honored in Tom Clancy’s novel “Executive Orders,” is responsible for ensuring that the United States continues to have the best trained military in the world by serving as the opposing force in simulated conflicts at the Army’s National Training Center (NTC) at Fort Irwin.
The 11th ACR’s new Jet Edge Mid Rail Gantry water jet system is operated by the Service & Recovery Section, a support section within the Regiment’s Maintenance Troop, Regimental Support Squadron (RSS). The 20-soldier section is responsible for machining and welding fabricated parts as well as providing recovery support to the Regiment. In addition to its water jet, the 11th ACR’s shop has CNC milling capability, lathes and welding machines.
The water jet is being used primarily to cut metals ranging from aluminum to armored steel with a thickness from 1/8 inch to 3 inches, CW2(P) Ash noted. Previously the soldiers had been cutting these by hand with a plasma torch, oxy-acetylene torches and shear.
“The water jet is unique because parts can be created using the computer-based software (SigmaNEST®) and cut out after the part has been built,” CW2(P) Ash continued. “Also, the part can be handled immediately following the cut without having concern for heat as in the OXY/Acetylene or plasma torch.”
“I have found that this system has been an excellent and valuable asset to our shop as I have recommended this piece of equipment to many of my peers as part of their shop setup,” CW2(P) Ash commented.
Jet Edge President Jude Lague expressed Jet Edge’s great pride in being selected as the 11th ACR’s water jet systems manufacturer.
“We are truly honored that the 11th ACR chose a Jet Edge water jet system,” Lague said. “It is humbling to have our equipment selected by the U.S. Army’s premier regiment. If you look into their history, it’s absolutely amazing because they were involved in so many of the world’s historic events during the past 100+ years. We are so proud to be part of their future.”
About the 11th Armored Calvary Regiment
Since 1901, the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment has proudly served the Nation in times of peace and conflict. The 11th ACR’s unique mission is vital to the readiness of the U.S. Army.
- -Our number one priority is to ensure we continue to have the best trained military in the world.
- We are the best Opposing Force in the world. Training against an uncooperative opponent is critical for today’s military.
- 11th ACR trains the force of the future; the 11th ACR must continually develop a variety of capabilities focused on the Soldier and small unit capabilities with the intent of making the U.S. Army's formations more flexible, adaptable and lethal.
- 11th ACR trains deploying forces to meet today’s challenges and tomorrow’s uncertain conflicts.
- It’s imperative that we remain focused on tough, demanding training here to ensure that our Soldiers and units sustain their combat edge.
- Our enemies constantly adapt to our tactics and equipment, so we must continually modernize and refine the way we fight to keep our combat edge.
- American families can count on the NTC to provide the very best training possible to ensure Brigade Combat Teams (BCTs) are trained and capable to meet the needs of our nation.
- Fort Irwin provides Warriors a place to hone their skills and war fighting.
- The NTC will continue to lead our training to meet 21st Century challenges.
- The NTC is at the centerpiece of our Army’s transition; setting the conditions for future success for our nation’s force of decisive action.
- The NTC replicates the tough, realistic operational environment that America’s war fighters face; our training is relevant and quickly adaptable to emerging threats.
About Jet Edge
Established in 1984, Jet Edge is a global designer and manufacturer of waterjet systems for precision cutting, surface preparation and coating removal. Jet Edge systems are used around the world in a broad range of industries, from the world's leading airlines to automotive, aerospace, industrial manufacturers, machine and job shops. Jet Edge waterjet systems are proudly made in the U.S.A. For more information about Jet Edge, visit www.jetedge.com, e-mail email@example.com or call 1-800-JET-EDGE (538-3343).
For more information about the 11th ACR, visit its web page on http://www.irwin.army.mil.
For more information about Jet Edge, visit www.jetedge.com, or call 1-800-JET-EDGE (538-3343).